The Surfrider Foundation is a non-profit grassroots organization dedicated to the protection and enjoyment of our world’s oceans, waves and beaches. Founded in 1984 by a handful of visionary surfers in Malibu, California, the Surfrider Foundation now maintains over over 250,000 supporters, activists and members and 100 chapters worldwide.
The Florida Keys chapter was chartered in August of 2018.
BOARD OF DIRECTORS (And Founding Members)
Chair: Shawn Martin
- Master of Science in Marine Biology and Coastal Zone Management from Nova Southeastern University.
- Co-Founder and dive safety officer for a scientific diving program.
- Project scientist for an environmental consulting firm.
- PADI SCUBA Instructor
- Adjunct professor at Florida Keys Community College
Vice Chair: Brittany Parker
- Studied Marine Science at University of Tampa.
- Current education and Office Coordinator at Reef Environmental Education Foundation (REEF)
- Previously worked at the MarineLab Environmental Education Center.
Secretary: Emily Hower
- Studied physics and biology at The University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill.
- Works with the Coral Restoration Foundation (CRF) in support of coral nursery operations in Key West, Florida
- Conducts reef surveys with various entities including The Florida Keys National Marine Sanctuary.
- PADI SCUBA Instructor
- Instructor and Marine Research Assistant at Florida Keys Community College
Treasurer: Jason Wolf
- Bachelor of Arts in economics from Stockton University
- General Manager at LPI Holdings, Inc.
- Experience managing finances for non-profit groups
- Previously the Protect Our Reefs Program Manager and development director for the Florida Keys at Mote Marine Lab
Volunteer Coordinator: Julie Brown
- Bachelor of Science in Industrial and Systems Engineering from Georgia Institute of Technology
- Founding Partner of the Key West Chapter of Green Drinks, a gathering of environmentally-minded people to discuss local issues and explore opportunities
- Owner and President of Tourism Consulting Corp, a small business consulting firm
Fundraising & Events: Noel Calzolano
- Master of Science in Hospitality and Tourism Management from the University of Central Florida
- Manager at Outback Steakhouse
- Event coordinator for The Hemingway Rum Company
Media and Community Outreach: Jason Hoegle
- Media Technician for the City of Key West
- Technician for Presentation Services, a Production & Global Event Planning Company
- Owner/operator at The FishGuy Aquarium Service
- ETCP certified theater rigger